Have you noticed the recent hype around 4K photography? We hope so, because we have some very exciting announcements coming up.
as a 4k ambassador, I am collaborating with Panasonic Lumix and their 4k cameras!
You probably know that I love photography and that travel and photography go hand in hand. I can’t imagine visiting a new place and not bringing along a camera to capture every detail and help me remember everything about my trip.
For the past few months I’ve been using a Panasonic Lumix CM1 smartphone. This flashy little phone has probably the best camera of any smartphone on the market right now. It’s incredible – especially for something this small!
I love how easy and simple it is to travel with a little camera like this. You can lighten your bag, keep your hands free, and don’t have to worry about bulky DSLR cameras.
But what’s this 4k thing about?
i don’t know about you, but I’ve heard a lot about 4k TVs, but I didn’t know much about 4k cameras.
4K cameras are all about video mode.
When you put a 4K camera into video mode, it shoots video at 30 frames per second.
This means that you can get a single image from the video footage as each frame is sharp and clear.
You may have done this before when you were shooting a video and saw a perfect moment in the video so you could freeze it and take a screenshot. You captured the perfect moment, but the quality of the photo may not be as good. It may be grainy, blurry, or slightly out of focus.
This is where the 4K feature comes in very handy. Because each frame is crystal clear!
Photographed with CM1
4k cameras are changing the way we take photos
It took me a while to get used to getting the most out of the CM1. Of course, it works just like a regular camera and can take regular photos.
But the real beauty of 4K is when you use it in video mode.
Rather than taking photos, I created a short video and extracted images from the video.
- Sports – to capture the perfect moment when someone crosses the goal line or the ball hits the net
- Selfies – perfect for getting the perfect angle from 2-3 seconds of video
- Group photo – capture the moment when everyone is looking at the camera
- When you don’t know when the perfect moment will happen – just keep the camera rolling and you’ll never miss it
- Wildlife – Animals may appear briefly
- Pets – If you have a camera full of blurry dog photos!
- Children – Because children don’t look at the camera at the right time
- Anyone who loves making videos or taking photos – bloggers, I’m talking to you!
- Enjoy the moment – If you ever miss out on a moment because you’re behind the camera. When the camera is running, you just set it up and forget about it.
You’ll be seeing a lot more of my 4K photos on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram over the next few months.
I’ll be sharing more about creating 4K videos and photos and some top tips in a future blog.
Learn more about Lumix 4k photography here.