January and February are two of the most depressing months of the year. It’s for those of us Brits who suffer from cold, dreary weather, dark nights and unpredictable snowstorms. And summer still seems far away…
I relentlessly stalk my Australian friends and family, drooling over their sunny beach photos, tanned limbs and blue skies.
Ah, the blue sky do you remember that?
Photo posted by Jayne Gorman (@jayneytravels) on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:39pm PT
yes, @jayneytravels, I’m talking to you!
Normally this time of year I would go abroad and soak up the sun, but with only 5 weeks left until my pregnancy, I’m staying at home.
To be honest, I spent the last week in agony dreaming of the future coming sooner. I want the baby to be born soon, I want summer to come early, I want the next holiday to come early, I want the new house to be completed quickly.
This mourning and longing is not healthy, so I decided to talk to myself and get out of it. I want to end my life here and really need to just sit back and enjoy this moment. Grieving doesn’t help anyone. It’s time to shake off the winter blues and start being more positive.
Here’s what makes me happy…
- Snowdrops – I love these pretty, delicate flowers. And they are a sure sign that spring is on the way!
spring is here! #100happydays Photo posted by Monica Stott (@thetravelhack) on February 17, 2014 at 6:26am PST
- January will be over 11 months later
- The days are getting longer – the clocks are about to advance
- There’s nothing like a cozy fireplace and an evening spent under blankets – you can do this guilt-free in the winter, but it’s a little weird in the summer
- Flannel pajamas – Not sexy, but who doesn’t love cozy pajamas?
- Bubble baths – once again, that weird thing about summer
- Freezing Morning – Crisp, crisp, sunny winter mornings aren’t common, but when they are, they’re so beautiful and worth stopping to admire.
Photo posted by Monica Stott (@thetravelhack) on Dec 30, 2014 at 7:01am PT
- Wrap up warm – I hate being cold, but I really love layering up and heading out for a winter walk. I love being in my little cocoon of warmth.
- Broadchurch – and TV box sets in general. What did we do before Netflix?
- Books – There’s never been a better time to curl up in a blanket and read a good book.
- Little baby socks – can I say aaaah? There’s nothing cuter than a new baby’s socks fact.
- And of course the biggest and best reason I’m happy right now is this ever-growing bump that will soon turn into a baby baby!
What makes you feel happy in February? Please share so that we all have a reason to share during this gloomy month.